20 Questions with Brad Weber of Caribou
By: Sheena Lyonnais
It’s busy times for Caribou drummer Brad Weber. The multifaceted musician is gearing up for an international summer-long tour with music gods, Radiohead kicking off in Mexico next month. But first, some DJ sets in Germany. And then, somehow the debut release of his other and equally impressive project Pick A Piper. Caribou visits home with a gig at Downsview Park on June 16 (buy tickets now, drugs later). And while he should probably be packing, he instead grants us insight into his brilliant, rhubarb-laced mind with 20Qs.
1. What is your dream of happiness?
Canada actually being liberal and environmentally conscious again.
2. Blonde or Brunette?
3. What is the quality you like most in a person?
I like when people listen and aren’t overly distracted by the multitude of things in modern life that can distract!
4. What do you fear most?
Not being able to get rhubarb pie late at night.
5. 808s or 909s?
I only make sounds using general midi. Preferably the “brass” presets.
6. What’s your biggest regret?
Using anything other than general midi.
7. What’s your fav bar or club in the world?
Razzmatazz in Barcelona
8. What’s the one thing you can’t live without?
Photos of meerkats hugging each other.
9. What are the 3 musicians dead or alive you’d like to see perform?
Mitch Mitchell, Elvin Jones, Art Blakey
10. What is your favourite decade in music?
1966-1976 was pretty insane. But music now also rules. It’s just exciting to constantly discover new sounds that inspire you.
11. If you had to choose, would you rather go blind or deaf and why?
I’d come down with Oniomania (the compulsive desire to shop).
12. How old is too old?
18… oops, I said that out loud.
13. Where do you see yourself in 15 years?
Bald and grey. Maybe a little salt and pepper!
14. Who’s your hero?
Marshall Allen… 87 and still touring and is still as insane of a player as ever!
15. What’s your favourite colour?
Apparently “razzmatazz” is an actual colour name too, invented by Crayola in the 90s.
16. What song could you live without ever hearing again?
Whichever Meatloaf song title has the most words in brackets.
17. Metallica or Madonna?
Metallica if it’s just the “Some Kind of Monster” documentary. Have you seen that? One of the most entertaining things in existence.
18. What’s your most hated vice?
Not having rhubarb pie everyday.
19. Who is the most tragic figure in history?
This dude named Roy Sullivan got struck by lightning seven times, none of which killed him! But then killed himself over a girl. That’s pretty tragic.
20. What are the top three live shows you’ve seen in your life?
Tough question! In the last year I’ve seen some insanely good shows like: Tony Allen, Omar Souleyman, Emeralds, A Hawk and a Hacksaw, Sun Ra Arkestra, The Ex & Getatchew Mekuria and so on. I guess that’s more than three. Sorry!