Blog Hunter: Amy Harper
October’s Blog Hunter guest blogger is makeup artist Amy Harper. She’s a full-time freelance makeup artist who’s based out of Toronto. Throughout October, she’s going to walk us through her best makeup tips and tricks as well as what you can do for Fashion Week and Halloween.
I’m obsessed with false lashes. I’ve worn them every single day for the past, like, five years. The #1 question I’m asked when doing people’s makeup
is how to apply them. So I put together a quick video to show you my favourite tricks!
Just in case I left anything out, here are some lash FAQs…
- Will they randomly fall off?: They shouldn’t! Depending on the glue. Duo glue (available at Shoppers Drug Mart, Mac and Sephora) is amazing and I’ve never had a problem, but if you’re unsure, maybe bring a tube of glue with you just in case. No one wants their lashes to turn into a mustache half way though the eve.
- Are the more expensive lashes better?: Not really. I do love Mac lashes, and they can be easier to apply since the band is to thin, and those will cost you around $18. The only down fall is you can’t reuse them as often because they’re more delicate. Quo and Ardell lashes are great and super affordable without looking super plastic-y (I’m looking at you, $1 China Town lashes)
- I can’t get the inner and outter lash corner to stick down!: Try shortening the lash band. False lashes are generally made really wide, so try trimming your lash from the outer corner to make them a bit more manageable. You can also cut your lashes in half (or purchase half lashes) and just use them to accentuate the outer corner of your eyes. That’s easiest.
- Do I put mascara on before or after?: I prefer before, but there’s no right or wrong. The only issue with applying mascara after is that you can’t really clean your false lashes properly, so you end up getting mascara build up and can’t use the lashes as often. I prefer doing mascara first, apply the lashes, and then use a lash curler to smoosh the two together.
- How often can I reuse them?: It’s sort of a person to person basis. I’ll use one pair of lashes for like…two weeks. So approximately 14 uses. But I take care of mine. If you plan on crying, sweating or falling asleep in your lashes, their life might be shortened. I’d say, as long as they look good, wear ‘em. I actually prefer mine once they’re a few uses in because they look more natural.