Blog Hunter: Amy Harper’s makeup tips for Fashion Week
Toronto Fashion Week is upon us! For my fashion guys and gals, this means fun but long days of fashion shows, parties and photographers and the last thing you want to do is worry about how your face looks, right? Having a couple fashion weeks under my belt, I’ve got my ‘fashion week face’ down to a science…but I was curious about what other makeup artists say are TFW makeup essentials. I’m going to share my secrets, but first here what some of Toronto’s busiest makeup geniuses recommend:
· “The best accessory for fashion week is a fabulous lip in an unsuspecting color! Wadrobing your make up never goes out of style and focusing on your lips will dress up any outfit. My lip color of choice: Violet!” -Jennifer Gemakas
· “Dress to impress but with subtlety. Don’t just pair an oversized bow on your head and a bright metallic blue lip because you think it screams fashion. TFW is more subdue then say the New York or Paris versions. Do your research and wear a trending colour in your clothing or makeup, people will take notice and in a good way!” -Janine Holmes
· ”Being asked to pick one product for fashion week is like being asked to pick a favorite child, but I’ve really re-discovered the joy and versatility of M.A.C Paintsticks. The creamy texture and good coverage allows you to manipulate the product into eyeshadow, blush and even skin tones. From a really natural beauty that’s not raw to the intricate and dramatic, Paintsticks can be your best friend!” -Glen Daniel, trainer for MAC Cosmetics
For myself, my least favourite thing in life to do is worry about how I look when I’m rushing around backstage or between shows. So here are a few of my favourite things to make you look flawless while running around this week:
· Primer, primer, primer! Eyes, face/lips/you name it you should be wearing it if you have a long day ahead of you and don’t want your face to look like a smashed up birthday cake. For face try Urban Decay’s Brightening Face Primer.
This not only provides your makeup with a base to hold it in place, but it also contains Matrixyl 300. Without getting too sciency (that’s what Google is for), I like to think of this ingredient as the skin equivalent to what Gatorade is for a hangover. Instantly perks you up and hydrates. For eyes, try Urban Decay’s Eye Primer Potion in ‘Eden’. This will make your shadow last from the earliest mornings to the latest late night parties…and the warm yellow tone will instantly brighten eyelids if worn alone.
· Urban Decay’s 24/7 eye pencils…they do NOT move. You have about 60 seconds where you can go in and smudge them, and that’s it. They’re there to stay. Perfect for creating a quick, effortless smokey look a la Kate Moss that won’t make you look like a raccoon 3 hours in.
· A bold, matte lip. As discussed last week, if applied correctly, your lipstick can look perfect for hours. MAC makes a ton of bold, matte lipsticks. I love wearing a bright lip when I’m feeling makeup lazy; it instantly adds that extra ‘wow’ factor to any outfit. MAC’s ‘Diva’ is a deep blackened plum tone that looks good (and dramatic!) on any skin tone and is right on trend for fall.
· Blush. I cannot say enough good things about blush. When you’re tired, a quick dab of a peachy rose tone to your cheeks will instantly warm up your skin tone and brighten your whole face up. I love Stila’s Convertible Cheek colours-a cream blush that can be used on lips as well. I have one in my purse at ALL times in case I’m looking dull and need a quick boost of colour. (Try ‘Petunia’ for fair to medium skin tones and ‘Poppy’ for darker tones). If you want to make extra sure that the blush doesn’t move, dust a loose translucent powder over top. (When in doubt…throw translucent powder on everything!)